June 11, 2012

DIY | DOOR DESK

Pin It!



Good morning lovelies! ♥

I apologize for being a little M.I.A. lately. It's been a crazy, exciting time at work! I am getting the opportunity to spread my wings a little with my graphic design which is fantastic! In a about a week I will have a beautiful, amazing new 27-inch iMac on its way to my house so I wanted to build a much larger work station in my house to accommodate it. I knew I didn't want to spend too much on a desk so I decided to make my own. I decided to use a 30" x 80" flat slab interior door that I picked up at Lowes as the top of the desk (only $21!). For the sides of the desk I used [2] 35" high book cases that I got at Big Lots for only $19 each.

I decided to paint the door a silvery gray color. I used an interior, semi-gloss paint and did probably 3 coats until I was happy with the coverage. After that was dry I did a coat of glossy Rust Oleum because I wanted the top of the desk to be nice and shiny and easy to wipe off should anything spill (which I'm sure I will at some point). The gray looks great because you can still see a hint of wood texture through the paint.

The bookcases have a flat panel piece that goes on the edge of each shelf (as decoration) so I painted those the same gray color before I attached them to the shelves.

I am so happy with the result! It is a TON of room for a $60ish desk! The bookcases are great for storage and an adorable addition.


Here are some pictures of the finished product:

*Doug decided to pose in front of the desk. And that's Sam in the corner.

*I added a little clamp to the side of the bookshelf to hang my work bag on


I love that my printer fits on one of the shelves - (ignore the ugly cords and piece of cardboard under the book shelf. It was hard getting it to balance nicely on that tile. My fiancé said we need to put the cardboard under one side even though I complained that it looked ugly haha)





3 comments:

  1. You are so talented!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool place, lovely work arena, wish I had one!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply terrific! Just what I've needed. Thanks for sharing, Caroline.

    ReplyDelete