May 2, 2012

Sewing with Vinyl | Tips&Tricks

Pin It!
So recently I have been trying to experiment more with vinyl (clear vinyl for card pockets in wallets and faux leather for clutches) but my presser foot was sticking to the vinyl so much that it was becoming nearly impossible. I read a few places that you can put a piece of paper on top of the vinyl so it will glide through easier but then you can't see where you are sewing so that method didn't work too well for me.

I looked into buying a non-stick presser foot for my machine which is made for sewing with vinyl but I decided to research some cheaper or free options first before I take the plunge and order one online.

I found a great tip on the blog Rosy Corner Creations that suggests using scotch tape on the bottom of the presser foot to create a non-stick surface.



I can't wait to get home and try it out! I'd much rather try using scotch tape for free before I buy one online for around $20.

I'll let you guys know how it works! :)

2 comments:

  1. Clever! I've always avoided sewing with vinyl because of the tackiness of it but this is a great possible solution! I'll look forward to your review. :)
    Vicki H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tape works but I found the vinyl sticks to the machine surface as well....a piece of tissue paper between the vinyl and the machine top works wonderfully...then just tear the tissue away.

    ReplyDelete