January 26, 2012

BEGINNING SEWING SUPPLY LIST

Pin It!
On my Sewing Tips for Beginners post someone commented requesting that I make a list of some basic supplies that I think a Beginning Sewer should have. I thought it was a great idea so I set out to compile a list of what I think are some basic supplies that you should have when you start your sewing journey. These are my personal favorite items, however, when you get started you may find that something else works better for you and that is perfectly fine! I try to keep my supplies as affordable as possible (I'm sure I don't have to reiterate how awful the economy is) so I will give you some tips on keeping sewing affordable on a small budget. 

First things first...

1) The Sewing Machine
I personally use a Brother CS6000i machine and I love it! However, if you are just starting out and don't want to splurge (because you are like me and don't know for sure that you are going to stick with your hobby in a month..or week...or couple days) then by all means try to find something a little cheaper! I have been sewing for a very long time and the first machine I used was a hand-me-down from my Grandma and was by no means glamorous. It was yellowed from age and barely worked. I used that machine for years, and when it would give me too much trouble I would just turn it off and hand sew. As frustrating as it was at the time I appreciate learning on a difficult machine because I am fully confident in my hand sewing capabilities from having to rely on them so often. After that machine (many years later) I purchased a Brother LS-2125i which was pretty cheap. That machine worked really well for many years and only started to give me problems towards the end. I would recommend starting on a Brother LS-2125i if you are looking for something pretty cheap to learn the basics on. It wasn't until I felt really confident in my sewing abilities that I looked into upgrading to a more expensive machine. 



2) High Quality Thread
My personal favorite is Gutermann Natural Cotton Thread. As I mentioned in my Sewing Tips Post, when I buy thread I buy the largest spool I can of a neutral color and use it on every project. It seems to be a really effective method because I don't have to constantly change my thread to a different color or fill bobbins with corresponding colors. I personally use a light grey color (almost the same as the one in the picture). Higher quality thread will prevent a lot of problems with your machine. 




3) Back-Up Needles For Your Machine
When you get your machine make sure you verify what needles it uses so you purchase the correct ones. Make sure you are always using a sharp needle when sewing. That doesn't mean you have to change it every time you start a project, but when it starts to dull or you notice that it is having trouble going through the fabric then it is time to switch to a new, sharp needle. Also, make sure you are using the correct needle for the type of fabric you are using. Thicker, heavier fabrics and lightweight fabrics use different types of needles. When you know what machine you are using a quick Google search can tell you what needles you need for your machine.


4) Bobbins
As with the needles, you need to verify that you are getting the correct bobbins for your machine. A search online or the User Manual that comes with your machine will be able to tell you what bobbins to get. 




5) Straight Pins
Make sure that you get straight pins that have thin, sharp needles. This will make it a lot easier when going through multiple layers of fabric. 


6) Rotary Cutter, Self-Healing Mat and Clear Ruler
Using a rotary cutter, self-healing mat and clear ruler will make it a lot easier when cutting your pattern pieces. They aren't super cheap but it will make your life a lot easier. You can get a kit (like the one below) that has all three items together, it might be cheaper to buy the kit then everything separate. 




7) Something to mark your fabric
When you are sewing you are going to have to make marks on the fabric at some point. You can either buy special marking pens or pencils, use chalk or (my new personal favorite) use Pilot Frixion pens, which have ink that disappears when heated with an iron. They are cheap and the ink disappears immediately when heated with an iron leaving no trace of the ink. It's truly amazing!



8) An Iron
Make sure you get an iron with a steam and spray function. They aren't expensive and you can find them at a lot of places (or you might already have one around the house). 




9) Something to hold your straight pins
You can go the traditional route and get a pin cushion to put your straight pins in, however, I decided to use something a little different. At first I had my straight pins in a pin cushion but then my ridiculously mischevious cat (Doug) learned how to pull the pins out and throw them all over the floor. I had to adapt and find another method of housing my pins and what I ended up using I like even better than a pin cushion. I use a magnetic paper clip holder to hold my straight pins. The pins are easy to grab and pull out, and at the same time they are secure because the magnet holds them in the container. 







10) Large Fabric Cutting Scissors
Another thing that you don't want to skimp on. Don't just grab scissors from the "junk drawer". Make sure you get a pair that are sharp so they can cut through multiple layers of fabric. 




11) Small Scissors
I personally use a tiny pair of nail cuticle scissors for cleaning up thread thats sticking out when I am finished with a project. I find that need use them quite a bit at the end of a project, especially if I have sewn on a label. 





12) Seam Ripper
At some point you are going to need a seam ripper, especially if you are just starting out. That doesn't mean that you are bad at sewing so don't be hard on yourself! Even the most experienced sewers use seam rippers. They are very useful to back track if you accidentally sewed something wrong or want to try again on a seam that isn't perfectly straight. They are also great (and necessary) if you plan on using your new sewing skills to alter clothing, such as taking in the waist of a pair of pants. 





13) Interfacing
Check with my Sewing Tips for Beginners for a quick overview on interfacing and a link to a detailed description of all the different types of interfacing. If you plan on making quality projects then I recommend familiarizing yourself with interfacing early on. If you are just starting out I would recommend buying some Pellon SF101 Fusible Interfacing, which you can buy at your local Joann Fabrics. Pellon SF101 is my personal favorite and is very easy to use and fuse. 




14) Tape Measurer
I personally don't use my tape measurer often, however, that's not to say that I don't have one close by all the time just incase. Especially if you are going to be making clothing or altering clothing it is good to have a tape measurer. If nothing else you can use it to measurer your waist if you are losing weight or walk around with it draped over your shoulders so you look like a professional ;)




15) Ironing Board
You are obviously going to need somewhere to iron but if you don't already own an ironing board and live in a small space like me then I have a solution for you. My "ironing board" is actually an extra TV tray that I already had with fabric stapled on top. It works great and folds down to save space when I'm not using it! I used an extra piece of fleece I had laying around and put that on top first to create padding and then stapled the fabric over that. Here is an example of a TV tray ironing board (*Note this isn't mine, I found the picture on Google images):



16) Hand Sewing Needles
Even with a sewing machine there are going to be times when you need to hand sew. A pack of hand sewing needles is a must :)




I hope this list helps all of you who are new to sewing! Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions! 


23 comments:

  1. Yayy! You did make the list!! Thank you soo soo much! :) Super helpful and makes it not as "scary" for me. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for this list and the other post - I have been dabbling in sewing on a small cheap brother machine my mom let me borrow and hand sewing - but I am ready to buy a nicer machine and start more projects ESP pillows & bags

    ?- Can u tell me if u know anything about the singer stylist 7258 because I am actually trying to decide between the brother CS6000i or the singer stylist 7258 (mainly love that the singer comes with a gathering foot for ruffle making) crazy reason I know ;)
    Thanks !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Janice,
    Well I actually haven't ever personally used a Singer machine so I don't really know first hand. However, when I was looking to upgrade my machine recently I researched it quite a bit and I found that I wasnt too happy with the reviews on Singer machines. What I can say is that I absolutely love my Brother CS6000i! It is quiet, efficient, the stitches are (so far) always even and tight and I haven't had a single problem with it so far! And although it doesn't come with a gathering foot it does come with an amazing amount of accessories! You can also unplug the presser foot and use a button to have the machine automatically sew. I haven't personally used that function much but it is pretty neat :) Good luck with your decision!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got a sewing machine as a present and I am super excited about it! Of course, I haven't sewn anything since home-ec in high school and it's been a few years since then :) So, THANK YOU for your list and your tips for beginners.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quick question: why should you have a clear ruler versus a normal school-type ruler?

    By the way, I love love love your posts. They are so helpful to me, especially because I also never learned how to sew, I just fumbled around and had the Internet close at hand. Thank you for all your tips!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A Tech Gadget lover…! Wanderlust of Nature by heart and a tech-savvy by habit... I have written and reviewed blogs on many products. As a keen neophyte, I love to discover new Products and their plus points… Get in touch… Or drop in your queries.
    My blogs:
    Roku.com/link
    Roku.com/link create account
    Roku.com/link account
    Roku.com/link activate
    Roku.com/link activation
    Roku.com/link setup
    Roku com link
    www.Roku.com/link

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing, its great content, Here some information Regarding HP Printer Want to setup HP Envy? Is an effortless process that won’t take much of your time Hardware Setup: Firstly, remove the printer from its box, then place it on a clean surface.For more Details Visit 123hp.com setup

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you wish to complete the activation process in the Roku device that you use, then the best place to visit is Roku.com/link. The Roku technical support team based here always lend a helping hand. For the entertainment you have vouched, you must choose the best Roku device. For viewers who wish to have a more enthralling experience, they must try Roku for sure
    My blog:
    Roku.com/link
    www.Roku.com/link
    Roku.com/link create account
    Roku.com/link activate account
    Roku.com/link account
    Roku.com/link activate
    Roku.com/link activation
    Roku.com/link setup
    Roku.com/link code
    Roku com link
    Roku com link create account
    Roku com link activate account
    Roku com link create
    Roku com link activate
    Roku com link activation
    Roku com link code
    Roku com link setup
    Roku com link enter code

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you find it hard to execute Roku code link activation on your own? Guidelines are here to help you. Decide the best and compatible device for streaming, refer the setup manual. After connecting the essential hardware, proceed to activate the network. Collect the activation code and enter the code visiting the Roku code link activation page
    Note- It’s important to use the valid page and code for activation

    For Roku link code support, contact our Roku customer support techies at the earliest

    ReplyDelete
  10. 123.hp.com/setup


    Firstly, you need to unpack the Roku streaming device and check for the essential contents. Power up the HP printer using the power connectors attached to the printer package. Set the display, and then proceed with the on-screen commands of the HP printer. Install the ink cartridges one by one gently. After that, fan a stack of paper and load them into the paper input tray. The HP printer will print the alignment page. Now, connect the printer to the home wireless network by providing the password. Finally, download the HP printer drives from 123.hp.com/setup. Select the operating system and its version from the list and click the Download button. Install them on your computers by enabling the system preferences option 

    You can contact our professional support squad for more data on 123.hp.com/setup.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did not know the entire benefits of Garmin Nuvi Gps. But since I have read this blog on map update, I have installed all available updates for my garmin device. I must say that this piece of blog has helped me improve navigation experience. I am not suggesting all my friends to read this blog and get Garmin map update with this team. For detailed information, you can contact us at toll-free number +1 888-309-0939 or write at info@garmingpsmapupdate.com. Our Garmin GPS professionals will provide instant help.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here are Government Jobs Latest Update and news; this is the website to come. A lot of articles are available for free reading. Government Jobs in India - Employment News of Central and State Governments, Govt Undertaking, Public Sector, Railway and Bank Jobs in India.

    Railway Jobs in India
    Jobs in Mumbai
    Jobs in India
    Madhya Pradesh
    Govt Jobs in Odisha

    ReplyDelete
  13. Garmin express updates as a rule holds more details that must be install on app. This is essential for introducing the updates on Garmin express. Update your map through Garmin.com/express to enhance the efficacy by selecting all eco-friendly roads

    ReplyDelete
  14. Goappx is a web and mobile app development company that builds on-demand apps, clone scripts for popular on-demand services and delivers custom IT solutions.
    Web app development

    ReplyDelete
  15. Some smart TV supports the options to assist users with easy fubo TV sign utilizing the on-screen keyboard to type username and password and then log in indirectly. Some other devices support using fubotv/connect code automatically signs in you to your FuboTv free trail account using FuboTV connect enter code on Fubo. tv/activate portal. fubo.tv/connect

    ReplyDelete
  16. FuboTv is one of the most popular and large live streaming service providers. With internet access and a compatible device, you can gain easy access to your favorite and many other TV networks by fubo.tv/connect. you can enjoy variety of sports of news channels along with generals. You can add a special sports package of 20+ channels. if you have more queries about FuboTV, we are always happy to help. fuboTV adds Premier League rights in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  17. https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=9546232&postID=838429849889756270&page=2&token=1663235761769&isPopup=true&bpli=1

    ReplyDelete